Friday, December 17, 2010

Cyrus the Wonder Dog


On December 7th, we had to say goodbye to our beloved Cyrus the Wonder Dog.  He was twelve and a half years old and had bone cancer in his right leg.  The vet had told me last May 2010 that Cyrus was in amazing shape for his age and would last many more years.  Then in August, Cy started to limp and favour the front right leg.  On September 3rd he was diagnosed with Bone Cancer, we had hoped it would be arthritis. 

The last week of his life, Cyrus was panting heavily and was in pain.  We could see it.  Although he "looked" okay, he was panting and his beautiful blue eyes were black...because his pupils were so dialated.  My husband and I had to end his suffering and it was a terrible day for the two of us.  I like to think that Cyrus is free from the pain he was in and that he is off running, as he loved to do!!

Cy-Guy led a full life!  He loved going outside to work with my husband on the shop and he loved to lay in the front yard, soaking up the sun.  He was an explorer and ran miles through the woods around here with us.  He loved to visit all of the neighbours and to share his love.  He loves to lay his head in my lap and enjoyed car rides!!  He was gentle, cuddly and the best dog pal we have ever had.  He really was our "guy".  I am writing this so to inspire others to think about visiting the local SPCA or Animal Shelter to rescue a dog.  Cyrus was rescued...many years ago and I feel so lucky that we found him.  He brought us great joy and laughter.  He was a Gold Rush Dog, born in 1998 in Dawson City Yukon.  He was born in the Centennial Year.  My husband's good friend Gary found Cyrus and adopted him.  When Gary had to move to England, my husband became Cyrus' new "dad".  They had been thick as thieves ever since.

Cyrus was a one of a kind.  He is missed terribly.  We love you Wonder Dog.  Run free and chase some chickens...

Thank you for stopping by.
Lesley

**EDIT** Thank you to all of my stamping friends for their kind and comforting words.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Lesley, by the time I finished reading this post I was crying. I know how hard it is to lose a pet this way. I'm sending a big hug to you and your husband.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley, I can't say it enough, my heart goes out to you and your husband. I know Cyrus had a wonderful life with you and you are absolutely right...shelter dogs make the most amazing companions. I believe they truly share a special kind of love that you can only see in the eyes of a "shelter dog". Sending you lots of hugs as you mourn the loss of your sweet furry-baby!
    -AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. He seemed like a real joy in your life that will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful and wonderful dog Cyrus must have been. Thanks for the stamping inspiration. I hope you have a good Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, I want to once again say how sorry I am for your loss. I know how sad it is to lose one of our fur-babies. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss - our dogs are truly our best companions. They comfort us in ways that no one else can. My thoughts and prayers go out to you in this time. I pray that the memories of Cyrus comfort you as you adjust to life without him. He will never be gone as he will always live forever in your heart and memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lesley, I am sitting here crying over your post and the heartache you feel right now. One of our fur-babies died one year ago today so it is with double the tears that I write to you. I know you were the best doggy mama Cyrus had and it is only in love that you could let him go. I hope your memories and thoughts of him running free give you comfort, my friend. Hugs, Nance

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing that Cyrus was a part of your family and was so loved.. As you stated Cyrus is now free of pain and able to run. God Bless you and your husband for sharing your love with Cyrus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in our prayers.
    God bless Cyrus!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big, big hugs honey!!! Our fur babies become such an essential part of our lives and families. I'm mourning your loss too. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lesley! I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Cyrus was a beautiful dog and seemed like a big part of your family. My sister had to put her sweet dog down on December 1st due to cancer and mine wad diagnosed with cancer two days later. I work with some no-kill animal groups and we have done a lot of adoptions this year. Never enough, but we have some wonderful fosters to help out. I hope, when you feel ready, to adopt again.

    Wendy Carr

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lesley, I'm way behind in my google reader and just saw your post. My sincere deepest sympathies on the passing of your beloved Cyrus.

    What a beautiful 'pal' that you gave an extrodinary life! I appreciate that you gave a shout out to going to rescues/shelters. As an avid 5-year volunteer at my local shelter, I know the awesome dogs that are just waiting their for wonderful homes.

    Sending some hugs your way. He's happy and healthy in heaven right now eating all the bones he wants!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lesley--so sorry for your loss. Cyrus sounded like a wonderful pal. We lost ours in August, she was 16 1/2. You never want to see them suffer. Remember, if you didn't love him as much as you did, it wouldn't hurt this bad. Sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lesley, you know I have been thinking about you all. The loss of a beloved friend is always so difficult. He was blessed to have found you both and been loved and cherished for the wonderful dog he was. He will be waiting for you at Rainbow bridge and in the meantime will spend his days in the sun, chasing squirrels, and rolling in the grass
    hugs
    jaydee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I appreciate the time you took to leave me a little stamping love!!
Lesley :)